Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Honest

In the last week people have asked me questions that have caught me off guard. I always thought I was of the opinion that I would rather people be upfront with me but I think I'd rather them keep their questions to themselves! At my daughters softball game last week another mom asked me where Turtle was from. We live in a big suburb of an even bigger city so I was trying to figure out what she meant, when she must have seen the confused look on my face and asked if he was from the United States. I know she meant well, and that she assumed that he was adopted but seriously, just because he is black most certainly does not mean that he came from Africa. I have no tolerance for ignorance. Then today as I was checking out at the grocery store the cashier asked if he was adopted. I absolutely don't mind this question because it gives me the opportunity to share our experience with foster care. After I said no, we are fostering I think she thought this gave her free reign to ask anything. She first started by saying oh, is he cross-eyed? Um, no he was looking at a toy hanging from his carrier that was right in front of his face, that would make you cross-eyed too. Of course I didn't say that, I am always the polite one! Then she said, so nobody wanted him? Excuse me! Uh, no they just couldn't take care of him right now. How dare she! I know I am just a foster mom but he is my baby. I hope this was just her being dumb and not that she thought that because he was "just a foster kid" she could say whatever. I am protective of my kids but since we started fostering I am fiercely protective of my foster babies. No one or nothing will hurt them if I have anything to do with it! I am going to learn to be a little quicker on my feet. Not rude, I just need a snarky comment to put people politely in their place!

No comments:

Post a Comment